Saturday, 20 February 2010

Illustration Friday - 'Adrift 2'

This is the second painting I did for this week's Illustration Friday.  As I had included my dog, Dougal, in the previous two submissions, I felt strongly compelled to include him again (I think it's becoming a habit now).  Also, as it was Valentine day last Sunday, I wanted to inject a little romance into my picture. I imagined a couple hiring a boat for a romantic picnic, with their little dog and a picnic hamper full of goodies.  Absorbed with each other (it is Valentine's day after all), they don't realise the rope has come untied from the mooring and the boat has gone adrift... The little dog has noticed though, because little dogs have more sense than humans in love :)




8 comments:

Scott DuBar said...

Hey, thanks for the comment! I'm impressed that you did two illustrations for this week's challenge, and that they are both fairly detailed digital paintings. This one has a nice story to it as well!

Susan Rundle-Hughes said...

Hi Scott, thanks for the nice comment :) The first illustration was finished a couple of weeks ago, it just fitted the word 'adrift' so I added them both as I wasn't sure if I would finish the boat one in time.

Susan said...

Wow, Sue this is really beautiful, the reflections are so realistic, and I love how you add humor to your pieces, you're quite prolific!

ps - you must've been pleased when Sadie won WM best in show!

Susan Rundle-Hughes said...

Thanks so much Susan for the lovely comments you leave. Yes really please a Scotty won, heehee.

Michelle Munger said...

Beautiful picture, Sue. I love the detail in your paintings! What program do you work in, if I may ask?

Susan Rundle-Hughes said...

Thanks so much Michelle. I draw the picture and scan it in and then just use the paintbrushes in photoshop CS4 :) I use a Wacom Intuos tablet too.

Michelle Munger said...

Thanks for the response, Sue. I've used photoshop in the past. Have you ever tried Artrage? It's my favorite program, along with the Cintiq.

Susan Rundle-Hughes said...

Michelle, no never tried Artrage, although I've heard it's very good. I taught myself photoshop and seem to have stuck to that since, although I've also tried painter :)